You are viewing my old blog.
I would love to have you visit my brand new website at www.ValorieQuesenberry.com.
Knowing God better, figuring out marriage, investing in my kids, exploring the Scripture, discovering truth, savoring life's joys and writing about the journey . . . visit a while with me.

Search This Blog

Thursday, September 8, 2011

the fragrance heaven loves

"Let my prayer be counted as incense before thee." (Psalm 141:2, RSV)

"What is incense good for? It appears to serve no practical purpose at all, and its smoke and fragrance soon dissipate.  Our prayers are like that because they seem to accomplish little and they soon vanish, but God likes the smell of them."      (-Elisabeth Elliot, Be Still My Soul, Revell, 2003, p.111)

What a thought this is! No matter that we cannot see the productivity of our praying - God says it is pleasing to Him. It lends another level of importance to the words we offer to Him.  Not only are we interceding on another's behalf or asking for personal guidance or declaring blessing on a friend, we are involved in something that brings delight to our Father.

In recent years, I have discovered that prayer is not at all limited to the benefits we can see. God uses every word I bring to Him to further His purpose in my life. And the prayers I offer in my deepest chasm brings me nearer Him than I could imagine. After all, He is the One to whom the fragrance rises; what appears to disappear on earth ascends to heaven's throne room where it is effectual and blessed.

1 comment:

  1. Your post is so true! My 9 year old daughter died from a brain tumor last year and I have found prayer to be the thing that has helped me through the dark days.

    ReplyDelete

All content on this site is protected under personal copyright by Valorie Bender Quesenberry. Please ask permission to reprint.