You are viewing my old blog.
I would love to have you visit my brand new website at www.ValorieQuesenberry.com.
Knowing God better, figuring out marriage, investing in my kids, exploring the Scripture, discovering truth, savoring life's joys and writing about the journey . . . visit a while with me.

Search This Blog

Saturday, September 1, 2007

An Autumn Longing

Today is the 1st day of September, and I feel autumn calling my name. Here in the northeast where I live, there is a peculiar, indefinable something that spills the secret, whispering in softest tones that the seasons are about to change. It's a certain scent in the air, a certain shade of blue in the sky, a certain consciousness that pervades the atmosphere -- the glorious days of fall are on the way.

Autumn is an almost tangible perception that affects everything from my coffee to my clothing to my home. In my contemplations about the approaching season, I can see misty images of myself dressed in plaid with a woolly sweater and java-colored loafers or leather boots. In this mirage, I am always smiling and full of vitality, sporting a cute purse and walking through a patch of pumpkins or a path of swirling leaves. (the fact that this vision has no factual base makes it all the more palatable.)

In the fall, I cherish my cinnamon and pumpkin spice coffee, and cast loving glances around my home which is decked with gourds, leaves, pinecones, and every other thing that bespeaks autumn. It is a season that lives in my very soul.

So, I am making a deliberate and tedious choice to wait a few more days before I pull my autumn treasures from the attic.
(Actually, I have put out a few fall flowers already:-)

After the celebration of Labor Day this Monday, I can go through some of my fall rituals: taking down the American flag on the bracket outside the house; putting away my girls' white shoes to be worn after next Easter if they still fit; turning my mind from sunny days to crisp evenings. And I will rejoice because the words of Genesis 8:22 are fulfilled with each dazzling autumn day......."While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease."

4 comments:

  1. I love the language. Fall is my favorite time of year and I really have to pretend here in Florida. October means the temperature changes from the 90's to the 80's. I still decorate as if it were chilly outside. I have to for my sanity's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of all the things I miss about Ohio, I think I miss fall as much as anything!

    Melodie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to read your articles! When are you going to publish a book?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree with Nicole Cassady....When are you going to publish a book? I see you doing a series for girls similiar to "Anne of Green Gables"...You have the talent of bringing words alive...I love it! I too love fall...

    ReplyDelete

All content on this site is protected under personal copyright by Valorie Bender Quesenberry. Please ask permission to reprint.